Friday, November 16, 2012

Sir, Can You Spare a Chopstick?

*Caution: my keyoard is roken, so the second letter of the alphaet really doesn't work

I enjoy reading missionary stories of those who have gone before us to clear the path so that we can walk the one God has called us to. One thing that they all had in common was the desire to do as the Father said, and in doing so, they were willing to lay down their lives -- and often their childrens lives.
I wonder how deep does my commitment run? Am I willing to e placed in the hands of those who hate me ecause of my Lord, and then allow them to do the same to my children?
I was thinking of these things while Jonathan and I were alone on a grocery shopping trip. Somehow, it's on these child-less trips that God rings to us the people of the street. I'm sure they're always there, ut when I am with my children I am in mommy-mode making sure they are safe and hardly have a chance to look up and around.
A man -- who had apparently een drinking -- asked us for some chopsticks. A simple request. Then he went into more Mandarin than my simple Ni Hao (hello)-level could decipher. I told him I don't understand him. ut somehow in the Spirit I knew I needed to just "listen" to him with my heart.
At times his voice seemed soft and pleading, other times his eyes and words were piercing me with sharp tones. All the while all I could feel was total compassion and love for this man. This man, for all I know, could e cursing my "foreign-ness."
God had answered a portion of my question that night. Yes, I could love like the man ecause Jesus is with me. I purchased a $1.50 candle holder from that store to remind me that my little light could shine for Him, the One who is the Light of the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment